Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Arts/Cultural Response: Jack Johnson at PSU



A couple of weeks ago Jack Johnson came to Penn State to do a free concert for Rock The Vote accompanied by G. Love and ALO.  All day there were Rock The Vote tents set up outside Eisenhower Auditorium and volunteers running around trying to persuade people to register to vote.  Their incentive: getting to go to a free concert!  The second I heard about this I was in.  I’m not going to lie to you and say that I’m Jack Johnson’s number one fan, but I’ve always enjoyed chilling out listening to some of his smooth, mellow tunes.  I was definitely expecting an amazing concert, but the experience I had was so much more.  Jack played for two hours straight, which is INSANE!  I’ve been to a lot of concerts in my day and never have I been to one with such a long set list, AND IT WAS FREE!  Even the opening acts were incredible.  Before last Wednesday, I had never heard of G. Love or ALO, but they both killed it on stage.  The audience was going crazy, and the lead singer of ALO even got a WE ARE PENN STATE chant going.  (G. Love later followed me on twitter, nbd).  Jack opened with Where’d All The Good People Go, and everyone was on their feet, dancing and singing along.  It was an incredible atmosphere.  After only being in college for a few weeks at that point, it was cool to feel connected to so many of my peers through something as powerful as music.  For the last few songs he performed, he invited G. Love and ALO back on stage to perform with him.  The energy was phenomenal.  They all connected and performed together so well you would think that they had been touring together for years.
The cause was awesome as well.  I am a huge believer that everyone who can vote should vote.  So many people think that their voice doesn’t matter.  One vote may not seem like much, but if it gets to being hundreds or thousands of people who think that way, that does matter.  It’s always inspiring when people as busy and famous as Jack Johnson take the time to support something as important as this.

By the end of the night, I was in love with this man.  He had such an incredible stage personality, telling us stories about how he met his wife and interesting tidbits about why he wrote some of his songs.  Every time someone from the crowd would scream out “I LOVE YOU” he would laugh and respond, “I love you too man!”  There was definitely a strong connection between the stage and the audience.  I’m thrilled that I had this experience; this is a night I will remember for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment